forum banner

Quiz 8 - Queries

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMP® clients
ShubhamD

Quiz 8 - Queries

Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:49 pm

Hi,

There are two questions in Quiz 8 where I am unable to understand/relate to the answers:

Question 1) In the second week of a project , the team lead works with the product owner (PO) on look-ahead modeling backlog refinement. One Of the team members , with years of experience in the organization continuously changes the scope of functional backlog items. What should the team lead do to resolve the conflict?

Option A- Ask the experienced team member to explain their point of view and then assign the backlog items to them
Option B- Use authority as a leader to convince the team member to accept the functionality as defined by the users.
Option C- Establish ground rules and empower the PO and experienced team member to work collaboratively to decide functionality
Option D- Organize a workshop and ask all the team members to present their point of view and then decide on functionality by consensus.

I selected Option C. My thought process was that at the end of the day its the Product Owner that owns & defines the backlog (based on the interactions & feedback from stakeholders) & team is primarily focused on executing the backlog. Here, as the question also hinted that the team member is experienced, Option C felt like the right option.
However, right answer is Option D. Why do we need all the team members to comment/pitch in on the functionality?

Question 2) The Project Manager has been recently assigned to a agile project. Line managers provided the team with developers & business subject matter experts (SMEs) from their business unit. What should the team lead do in the first team meeting? ( choose two)

Option A-Review the ground rules & expectations for a high - functioning team
Option B-Assign roles & responsibilities to each member of the team and tasks for the first couple of sprints
Option C-Ask each team to introduce themselves, describing their technical knowledge and skills.
Option D-Inform the team of the product development process and release roadmap established by the product owner
Option E-Ask each team to introduce themselves, providing information about hobbies & personal achievements

I selected option C & D thinking that its a new team, so we need to gather skill information to see if team is self organizing or do we need some additional skills & we also generate buy-in by sharing the vision & specify the development approach to avoid confusions later.
However, right answer is Option A & E. Honestly, I was never expecting Option E. Am I missing some key concept/viewpoint here?
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Quiz 8 - Queries

Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:50 am

Lets do one by one:

Question 1) In the second week of a project , the team lead works with the product owner (PO) on look-ahead modeling backlog refinement. One Of the team members , with years of experience in the organization continuously changes the scope of functional backlog items. What should the team lead do to resolve the conflict?

I selected Option C. My thought process was that at the end of the day its the Product Owner that owns & defines the backlog (based on the interactions & feedback from stakeholders) & team is primarily focused on executing the backlog. Here, as the question also hinted that the team member is experienced, Option C felt like the right option.
However, right answer is Option D. Why do we need all the team members to comment/pitch in on the functionality?
------------------

Your doubt is the thing which is tested in the question, in agile ways of working we should not focus on making one person do or analyze the thing we should let the complete team be involved in it. So if someone has suggestions, it has to be looked at by all, and that is the reason planning is done in Sprint / Iteration Planning meeting as a group. If one person has suggested others must know about it even if the person is experienced, if the suggestion is great it may work as education for others still sharing and common working is needed.
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:57 am

Second Question:

Question 2) The Project Manager has been recently assigned to a agile project. Line managers provided the team with developers & business subject matter experts (SMEs) from their business unit. What should the team lead do in the first team meeting? ( choose two)

Option A-Review the ground rules & expectations for a high - functioning team
Option B-Assign roles & responsibilities to each member of the team and tasks for the first couple of sprints
Option C-Ask each team to introduce themselves, describing their technical knowledge and skills.
Option D-Inform the team of the product development process and release roadmap established by the product owner
Option E-Ask each team to introduce themselves, providing information about hobbies & personal achievements

I selected option C & D thinking that its a new team, so we need to gather skill information to see if team is self organizing or do we need some additional skills & we also generate buy-in by sharing the vision & specify the development approach to avoid confusions later.
However, right answer is Option A & E. Honestly, I was never expecting Option E. Am I missing some key concept/viewpoint here?

-----------------
I usually stress this when i explain Lesson 1 " first-class video recording may have clue", all of the given options are good options, we need to select the right sequence.

- Start with some ice-breaking activities where people start knowing each other just as a person. So options E and C are the candidates for first, since its better to keep it at the ice-breaking level we pick E, if you had no option like E then you can pick C also. So let people know each other is the first thing, introduction, background, hobby are a good to start.

- After this we need to understand how do we work together , so for that we create ground rule or team charter, or rather we initiate that.
- Once first level rules are clear, we work on role and responsibilities
- One Roles are clear, we spend sometime knowing about tools / processes
- finally, we do a project kickoff meetings and know goal and details of project.

The Lesson 1 of PMI Content and our Live class follows the same sequence.
ShubhamD

Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:17 pm

Thanks a lot Saket, this really helps.

Return to “PMP® Queries and Tips”