Scope creep Question

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMP® clients
hiren.k.dodiya

Scope creep Question

Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:17 pm

Hi,

I had confusion about a question. Please suggest.

You have been assigned to a project that is in trouble. After talking with the customer, you find that there were over 50 requests for scope changes, and the customer is frustrated that the previous project manager only implemented 5 changes that weren't of importance to the project's success. Upon further review, you determine that no formal change control process was implemented and therefore the customer's expectation had been that the 50 changes were going to be completed. This is an example of :

a) Chaos
b) Scope creep
c) A Poor performing Project manager
d) An out-of-control customer

The answer shown is Scope Creep. Can anybody give some explanation???

Thanks in advance.
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Re: Scope creep Question

Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:11 pm

hiren.k.dodiya wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:17 pm
Hi,

I had confusion about a question. Please suggest.

You have been assigned to a project that is in trouble. After talking with the customer, you find that there were over 50 requests for scope changes, and the customer is frustrated that the previous project manager only implemented 5 changes that weren't of importance to the project's success. Upon further review, you determine that no formal change control process was implemented and therefore the customer's expectation had been that the 50 changes were going to be completed. This is an example of :

a) Chaos
b) Scope creep
c) A Poor performing Project manager
d) An out-of-control customer

The answer shown is Scope Creep. Can anybody give some explanation???

According to PMBOK'The uncontrolled
expansion to product or project scope without adjustments to time, cost, and resources is referred to as scope creep.'

In the question it is not very clear if 50 CRs were approved or not, if they were approved then it can be a scope creep issue, else I will go with A or C, what is the source of your question?

Thanks in advance.
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/

Return to “PMP® Queries and Tips”