Forum banner

Project Management Plan Updates Vs Change Requests

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMP® clients
Saubhagya Raizada

Project Management Plan Updates Vs Change Requests

Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:17 am

Hi,

I am confused with the difference of PMP updates vs CR.

Project Management Plan gets updated as result of many processes after it has been baselined, but it has also been ruled that any change to this plan can only come from PICC process since it has been baselined and a controlled document (mainly the subsidiary plans +baselines).

Why cant the process which say “PMP update” as an output just say CR and follow the below process instead:

Many Process output—>Raise CR (instead of PMP update)--> Perform Integrated Change control --> Approved CR--> Update PMP Plan.

Some of the examples of these process are Direct and Manage PW, Manage Project Knowledge, Monitor and Control PW and other Control processes.

I will be grateful if someone can clarify this properly.

Thanks,
Saubhagya
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Re: Project Management Plan Updates Vs Change Requests

Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:49 pm

Saubhagya Raizada wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:17 am
Hi,

I am confused with the difference of PMP updates vs CR.

Project Management Plan gets updated as result of many processes after it has been baselined, but it has also been ruled that any change to this plan can only come from PICC process since it has been baselined and a controlled document (mainly the subsidiary plans +baselines).

Why cant the process which say “PMP update” as an output just say CR and follow the below process instead:
It can well be a CR , Agree, the intention to say PMP update is to implicitly state that the plan will be updated. a CR can mean many things,

Many Process output—>Raise CR (instead of PMP update)--> Perform Integrated Change control --> Approved CR--> Update PMP Plan.

Some of the examples of these process are Direct and Manage PW, Manage Project Knowledge, Monitor and Control PW and other Control processes.

I will be grateful if someone can clarify this properly.

Thanks,
Saubhagya
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/

Return to “PMP® Queries and Tips”