Forum banner

Raising Change request before or after Analysis

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMP® clients
santoshkarkal

Raising Change request before or after Analysis

Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:19 am

Hi Saket,

Please clear the below confusion once for all:

"Once the change is identified, whether the project manager needs to perform impact analysis first & then raise change request OR raise change request first & then do Impact analysis"

Because somewhere else (practice test solution) it is mentioned as below:

"One may argue that evaluating the change should come before submitting the change request. We had an extensive debate on the subject of change requests in general and on this question in particular. The reason being is that the PMBOK® Guide does not do a good job of explaining the exact process in detail. We have discussed this process among our team of certified project management professionals and have concluded that the first thing that should be done when a change is requested on a project is the physical creation of the change request, a document if you wish, filling out a form. Otherwise, on what basis would a project manager and the project team spend time evaluating a request that is not even documented?"
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Raising Change request before or after Analysis

Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:06 pm

Its little complicated to answer , may check the conversation as well which we did on Lesson 3 when this topic popped up.

"Once the change is identified, whether the project manager needs to perform impact analysis first & then raise change request OR raise change request first & then do Impact analysis"

Here I explain

Once the change is identified
1. As PM I check and do some impact analysis to recognize does this thing even need a change request, so I do first level impact analysis so I know should I get into change management or not, else in day PM gets 100 things which are change, we do not raise request for all 100.
2. Once I see it qualify for change, that I see has it is been already rejected recently, if yes I may inform , please refer to old change Log it has been rejected.
3. Once step 1 and 2 over, I as PM initiate the change request and assign respective SMEs for impact analysis
4. I consolidate Impact Analysis and based on Impact Analysis I decide who should look it for approval.
5. I present it for approval or rejection
6. If rejected , I update the Change log and inform the raiser
7. If accepted I update the project plan, and if expected I also update the Project Baseline
8. I get change Implemented.
santoshkarkal

Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:53 am

Thanks, Saket, appreciate sparing your time to reply.

I acknowledge we had discussed this during the class on this topic. But now since things are taken seriously, a lot of queries/confusion arises.

But I have the following steps in mind which support the Change request first & then impact analysis next by PM:

Step 1:
Stakeholder (SH) identifies change,
Checks the changelog,
Finds no previously raised,
Raises change request (Change request will not be raised if changelog has the previous action on similar request)
The above new change request is updated accordingly in the Change log.

Step 2:
PM checks the change request
Does the impact analysis,
PM checks whether the change is within the tolerance,
if yes - then approves or rejects it, updates documents & changelog, informs SH & implements
If No - then follows STEP 3 below.

Step 3:
The PM follows the process as you described if the change is out of his tolerance.

Now, if you see in STEP 1 above since SH checks changelog first (to check whether similar change identified, if identified, what was action taken), this eliminates similar change request been raised repeatedly.

So if STEP 1 happens, the SH has to raise a change request to log in change details in the changelog.

Please confirm whether the above is convincing to raise change requests before PM/Project team does impact analysis (based on change request raised, PM/project team spends time legitimately to do analysis).

(or shall I consider "PM does impact analysis FIRST & then raise CR", no matter what elsewhere tells otherwise).
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:02 am

I agree with your flow. and I also believe the Impact analysis happens after raising the change request.

Here I repeat my previous reply, and in general, Step 4 is called Impact Analysis and it is happening after INITIATING the Change Request, I avoid using the word raised since I am not sure raised mean approved change request or not yet approved. so read the question carefully and make your decision. .

Once the change is identified
1. As PM I check and do some impact analysis to recognize does this thing even need a change request, so I do first level impact analysis so I know should I get into change management or not, else in day PM gets 100 things which are change, we do not raise request for all 100.
2. Once I see it qualify for change, that I see has it is been already rejected recently, if yes I may inform , please refer to old change Log it has been rejected.
3. Once step 1 and 2 over, I as PM initiate the change request and assign respective SMEs for impact analysis
4. I consolidate Impact Analysis and based on Impact Analysis I decide who should look it for approval.
5. I present it for approval or rejection
6. If rejected , I update the Change log and inform the raiser
7. If accepted I update the project plan, and if expected I also update the Project Baseline
8. I get change Implemented.
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:19 am

Finally made video on this

https://youtu.be/mPXnUOXdisQ
santoshkarkal

Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:39 pm

Thank you, Saket. You making us learn more