Forum Banner

People Domain

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMP® clients
Hiral

People Domain

Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:03 pm

Hi Saket,
I have a doubt regarding below question.
(Q: 18 from Practice Test Two- People Domain - XSP92429P1)

Question:
You need to hire two more people in the existing development team of 10 people. The team leader for this team is insisting that you give preference to people from similar backgrounds as the existing team. Which of the following options would you go for?

A. You will initiate a facilitation session with the team members and the team lead and listen to their ideas about hiring the new team members

B. You will agree to the team leader's recommendation to hire a candidate from the same background as it will make it easier for the team to work with new candidates.

C. You will reason with the team leader that if anyone from the 10 team members leaves the job, the dependency on other team members increases.

D. You will listen to the team leader and then coach him on diversity, elaborating that if the team members are from different backgrounds, then it is good for the team and the project.

Correct Answer as per Quampus - D
There are many disadvantages in having all the eggs in one basket. For example, if there is a festival in one region, then all of them will be absent and the project progress will be impacted.

Doubt:
Here the TL is insisting on having the resource from the same background to make work life easy, and not insisting same location. hence i selected option B.
my understanding of the question was having resource from the same "work/skill" background.

Request you to elaborate on having option D as right answer.
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: People Domain

Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:44 am

From the question itself :

You need to hire two more people in the existing development team of 10 people. The team leader for this team is insisting that you give preference to people from similar backgrounds as the existing team. Which of the following options would you go for?

I get two possible traps,
A. do you listen to team leader recommendations as PM
B. How do you ensure diversity in your team.

The best approach is to Listen to Team Leader, asking him questions on the diversity view and then deciding the approach. The real hiring decision should be multi-criteria decision making , not just one.

Option B shows I just get agreed, which may not be a good idea especially when PMI is recommending on diversity quite a lot.
Option D focus on diversity and also ensuring that you listen to the Team Leader

So the option D is good amoung 4.
Hiral

Re: People Domain

Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:55 pm

Thank you Saket for your prompt response & clarification.

Return to “PMP® Queries and Tips”