Stakeholder identification using historical data - Can this happen ?

Exclusive Forum for students to discuss PMP® queries and queries related to iZenBridge questions
pranshul.rawat

Stakeholder identification using historical data - Can this happen ?

Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:13 am

You are leading a project, and Peter is the assistant project manager. Peter is in the process of developing a stakeholder register. During a formal discussion with Peter, you asked him, if he has included Marketing Head in his stakeholder register? Peter replied that the Marketing Head is neither listed in the Project Charter nor the contract and is also not the part of the project team. He further added that he has also considered all project documents for the identification of stakeholders and none of them has any mention of including Marketing Head. Thus he did not include Marketing Head in the stakeholder register. What would you suggest him?

A)Nothing, as he has looked at all possible sources to create Stakeholder Register.

B)Look at similar past project’s stakeholder's register to see possibilities of other stakeholders which can be included.

C)Advise him to look at our Organization Structure and Policies to study which roles can influence project outcomes and add them to stakeholder register. (CORRECT)

D)Encourage him to look at the risk register to see if the Marketing Head owns few risks and if he is there, add him to the stakeholder register.

Doubt - I accept that C is correct. However, I want to know if 'B' can be a correct option if 'C' is not an answer choice. i.e. Can we refer to historical projects to get some information on stakeholder identification. It makes sense that stakeholders would not be common across projects, but one can look at info such as Designation/Role of stakeholders on previous/historical projects.
Thanks,
Pranshul (Exam scheduled on 21-Nov) :roll:
Update - Passed the exam :D Thanks to all the educators and all the best to fellow test takers.
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Re: Stakeholder identification using historical data - Can this happen ?

Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:23 pm

pranshul.rawat wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:13 am
You are leading a project, and Peter is the assistant project manager. Peter is in the process of developing a stakeholder register. During a formal discussion with Peter, you asked him, if he has included Marketing Head in his stakeholder register? Peter replied that the Marketing Head is neither listed in the Project Charter nor the contract and is also not the part of the project team. He further added that he has also considered all project documents for the identification of stakeholders and none of them has any mention of including Marketing Head. Thus he did not include Marketing Head in the stakeholder register. What would you suggest him?

A)Nothing, as he has looked at all possible sources to create Stakeholder Register.

B)Look at similar past project’s stakeholder's register to see possibilities of other stakeholders which can be included.

C)Advise him to look at our Organization Structure and Policies to study which roles can influence project outcomes and add them to stakeholder register. (CORRECT)

D)Encourage him to look at the risk register to see if the Marketing Head owns few risks and if he is there, add him to the stakeholder register.

Doubt - I accept that C is correct. However, I want to know if 'B' can be a correct option if 'C' is not an answer choice. i.e. Can we refer to historical projects to get some information on stakeholder identification. It makes sense that stakeholders would not be common across projects, but one can look at info such as Designation/Role of stakeholders on previous/historical projects.

Well option B is also not bad, however looking at past projects does not necessarily necessarily help if the organization structure has changed, so if for similar project in past if Marketing was not a stakeholder does not necessarily mean that the organization structure is same , so I would prefer option C over B
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/

Return to “PMP® Exam Prep Questions”