forum

What if 2nd segment of sprint planning has issues

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMI-ACP® clients
deepakaggarwal

What if 2nd segment of sprint planning has issues

Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:36 am

Context
As known that Sprint Planning has 2 segments
Segment 1. Dev Team commits to items from backlog (user stories) based on discussion with PO and story points
Segment 2. Dev Team breaks down stories into tasks and add ideal hours

Question
What if team commits to stories in first segment but when they add tasks and hours, they realize that they don't have capacity to complete that ?

Answers (Is any of following true)?
1. Team gets back to PO and request adjustments. But if this is true, it may be argued that if second segment is decisive factor then what is the need of segment 1 at all. There can be many instances where velocity looked fine (based on past data) but hours exceeded capacity in actual task breakup.
2. Team manages on how to still complete commitment (Smart ways or extra effort etc.)
3. Something else.
pank_pmp

Re: What if 2nd segment of sprint planning has issues

Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:59 am

I believe that Sprint goals are more important rather than selecting/deleting any user story from the sprint backlog. If Sprint goals are being met then I do not see issue PO not agreeing on the changes, which may or may not advised by Dev team.

Pankaj
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What if 2nd segment of sprint planning has issues

Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:29 am

In my view the option 1 is the one which should be taken in account and if the team and PO trust each others intention and contribution to project one should not face difficulty in explaining the situation on context to each other.
Explore our online PMP Program , it makes PMP Easy :-) http://goo.gl/ZmD3xF

Image Image Image Image

Return to “PMI-ACP® Queries and Tips”