forum-pin-post

Clarification on a question

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMI-ACP® clients
samkaran1099

Clarification on a question

Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:38 pm

Hi-
I am confused by the answer and question for the following reasons:
-Nowhere in the question or graph does it mention that the graph is a iteration burndown chart, it looks more like a sprint burndown chart.
-How does one conclude that re-estimated engineering tasks?

Can you please clarify?

Question 57

1.00/0.00

You are an Agile coach and Scrum Master. Jim who heads PMO for organization has initiated couple of projects as PILOT for Scrum development methodology in his organization. You are invited to review team's progress and guide team for any improvement, if needed. Looking at information radiator of team you see following graph. You conclude

The team's productivity has not been consistent and there is need to identify improvement

There has been change in sprint scope due to which new story has been added during sprint resulting in re-estimation

Some of the engineering tasks were re-estimated during sprinthowever team has been able to complete all tasks on time

Team has shown excellent productivity during the last stage of sprint and this should be showcased as benchmark to other teams.

The answer provided is as follows to the question is as follows:
Change in hours remaining during the course of sprint is usually done by team when they re- estimate some engineering tasks if they feel there is more hours needed. In General no additional stories are added during the sprint as sprint goal remains same throughout the duration of Sprint. Agile is about collective ownership so finding fault in individuals productivity is not an Agile practice neither is comparing two different teams velocity or performance.
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Re: Clarification on a question

Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:12 am

In the graph, kindly note:

1. Before the spike in the chart, the team is meeting the ideal line means they were able to work according to the plan.

2. There is no indication in the question that team added new user stories.

Still, effort remaining increased that is the indication of re-estimation of engineering task available in the Sprint Backlog.

BTW: Iteration in Scrum framework is called Spring thus Sprint Burn down chart and Iteration Burn Down chart are same.
samkaran1099

Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:26 am

In my initial posting I stated that the graph looks more like a Sprint burndown chart as opposed to a Iteration burndown chart. I actually meant that the chart looks more like a "release burndown" chart.

Anyways, after I posted the comment I went back and reviewed the graph and realized that the graphs measurement for effort is in Ideal Hours which implied that it was a Sprint/Iteration burndown chart. However, the question didn't state that explicitly.
seema.sonkiya
Expert
Expert

Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:03 am

It is not necessary that question state it explicitly. You need to decide for yourself by looking at context.

Return to “PMI-ACP® Queries and Tips”