forum-pin-post

Question on understanding Activity Sprint board and Identifying Problems

Forum to discuss topics on Agile and Scrum Certifications ( SAFe , CSP , CSM , CSPO , CSD , PSM etc...)
phanikrishnamurthy

Question on understanding Activity Sprint board and Identifying Problems

Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:43 am

My Question on understanding Activity Sprint board and Identifying Problems on attached screen shots.
Both screens are of a single team on the last day of their sprint. Please review and
identify any issues, problems, or questions you have about the data from their Agile board and/Sprint
Burndown.

Could you pls help to make me understand and identify any issues, problems, or questions you have about the data from their Agile board and/Sprint Burndown.

Thank you in advance.
Attachments
Sprint1 BurnDown Chart.JPG
Sprint1 BurnDown Chart.JPG (35.73 KiB) Viewed 5079 times
activitysprint.JPG
Current Activity Sprint
activitysprint.JPG (100.55 KiB) Viewed 5079 times
phanikrishnamurthy

Re: Question on understanding Activity Sprint board and Identifying Problems

Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:12 am

Hi Scrum Expert,
I could list out my understanding on this query, Could you please check and let me know if you my understanding is correct? If any other information/problem i have missed please provide feedback.

Thank you.
Observations:
1. 2 week is the duration sprint1.
2. Seems 15 member are involved(From quick filter) in this sprint.
3. Sprint1 started with 200 story points.
4. 'Agile Challenge Epic' is epic.
5. Only two type of PBIs are added Stores and Bugs.
6. Total 144 story point are visible in the Activity Sprint Board(Sprint1).

Identified Problems:
From Burn Down Chart:
1. Sprint 1 failed significantly and visible from the chart.
2. Looks like new stories are added or re-estimated in the sprint backlog on Feb 28, March 1, March 6. This looks to me one of the problem.
It was not advise to add new stories after the sprint started as it may impact the activity sprint scope.
3. Sprint 1 started for total story point 200 later by the end of sprint we could burn down only 13 story point(based on DONE items story points) and left
with 131 story points(based on total story point from To-do, In-Progress & In-Review items). So this gives us information instead of burning down stories looks like scrum team might have re-estimated story points which is the problem

From JT Board:
Development Team size not as Scrum Recommendation:
1. Development team size in scrum should be 3-9 member only but it was observed total 15 members are involved in the team. This 15 member count is taken from quick filter in Activity Sprint Board(Sprint1).
This can be one of the problem because if team size is > 9 or < 3 we may not generate desire value from scrum due to communication and coordination cost increase.

More Number of Tickets Pending In-Review & not assigned to Members:
1. It was observed several tickets in review state which is a problem.
2. Few In-Review stories(JT-148, JT-160) are not assigned to developer, so they are not moved to closer or next action. Which is a problem.

Blockers Bugs:
1. In-Review state Blocker Bug(JT-160) is not assigned to developer, So this ticket need to be prioritize and assigned to member for review but this is not done so it was a problem.

Critical Bug:
1. JT-158 is critical bug in TO-DO state, so development need to prioritize before taking any new issue.

Impediment/Flagged Sprint Backlog Items:
1. Impediment in JT-154 which need to checked by development member who is having capacity at first before handling JT-163 which is low priority.

Sprint Backlog Tittles & Descriptions:
1. JT-152 tittle('fix bug found in yesterday') is not good, We need to provide detailed appropriate tittle.
2. JT-154,JT-148 tittle is same which is not good, We need to provide detailed appropriate tittle.

Missing Description & Acceptance Criteria for SBIs:
1. JT-155 description does not have any information not sure how developer decided this is DONE. We should provide clear information on this. This story does not have any acceptance criteria.

Larger Stories & Backlog Refinement:
1. JT-154,JT-148 story points are 40, At first we need to see if these can be treated as epic and disaggregate to user stories which are Independent, Negotiable, Valued, Estimable, Small and Testable.
2. If JT-154,JT-148 cannot be epic at least we should estimate or create task to manage and split the task with in the team. I think backlog log refinement is not done properly. Which may looks like problem.

Team Capacity Planning:
1. By the end of sprint it been observe only 6 tickets(Considering only In-Progress & In-Review) are assigned out of 15 member development team. Which looks a problem at any point of time capacity available resource should picks and start working or support in flagged issues.

Adding Team Member Photo:
1. It is recommended to added photo of each person to JIRA profile, so our dash board radiate full information of activity and owner. This help us to see who is do what from Activity sprint board.
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Question on understanding Activity Sprint board and Identifying Problems

Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:22 am

What I see you have done good analysis. if this is an interview question, then you need to relate to the other questions of discussions you had with the pannel since they may want you to point out something which they discussed in other questions.
Explore our online PMP Program , it makes PMP Easy :-) http://goo.gl/ZmD3xF

Image Image Image Image

Return to “Agile and Scrum Certification Open Forum”