forum banner

SCOPE CREEP

Discuss PMP doubts, tips and lesson learned. iZenBridge makes PMP® Certification easy
praveen84

SCOPE CREEP

Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:51 am

Saket, Pls clarify Question NO. 63, Mock Test 1

A customer indicates that they would like to add functionality. Although this request is made during the execution phase of the project, the project manager finds that the cost for the addition would be small. The additional functionality, if successful, would increase the opportunity for profit. What should the project manager do next?
• A. Agree that the functionality would offer a great opportunity, but the proposed addition is out of scope.
• B. Schedule a meeting with the company's management team, and present the customer's request for additional functionality as a good opportunity.
• C. Move forward, using the project's management reserve to add the requested functionality.
• D. Identify an already-developed feature that could be combined with the new functionality and use the combination to meet the customer's request.

My answer: A, correct answer : B

As a PM, I need to avoid scope creep and protect my project from deviating from agreed scope. Without analysing the impact on schedule and scope, how can I go to management with a customers request.
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SCOPE CREEP

Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:50 am

What is Scope Creep?
Scope Creep. The uncontrolled expansion to product or project scope without adjustments to time, cost, and resources.
Option B is not saying just agree to the idea and get started, it is saying present the idea to your change control board so they can take a call.

If this question comes in an agile way, we say discuss this in the upcoming backlog refinement meeting so we can prioritize if this has to be done.

In Projects we are always OPEN for change, provided the change adds value and make things better, but at the same time change has to be looked in totality and should be discuss with respective stakeholders.

Return to “PMP® Open Forum”