Forum Banner

Project Cost Management - EV, CV and SV calculation

Discuss PMP doubts, tips and lesson learned. iZenBridge makes PMP® Certification easy
priya62

Project Cost Management - EV, CV and SV calculation

Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:37 am

Hi Saketh ,
I understand the logic of PV , EV , BAC and related calculations.
but got struck with an example here.... and something isn't kinda synching in my head...

so... Ex : A house construction project estimated for 60Lakhs in 8 weeks time period.
Say in 4 weeks period , we've spent 28Lakhs ( which would be 28/60 = 46% of work completed )

As per calculations ,
BAC = 60Lakhs ,
PV =( Planned % Complete ) * BAC = 4 weeks of 8 weeks project is 50% of schedule = 0.5 * 60L = 30L
EV = ( Actual % of work completed ) * BAC = 46% * 60L = 0.46 * 60L = 27.6L ( Is this correct calculation , am I missing something ? )

AC = 28L
CV = EV - AC = 27.6 - 28 = > -0.4
and SV = EV - PV = 27.6 - 30 = -2.4

That interprets the project is actually behind schedule and over budgeted , can you help understand what am I missing here with the calculation.
I totally get these calculations type questions aren't required in exam perspective, but this's for me to understand the logics behind it.

Thank you in advance
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Project Cost Management - EV, CV and SV calculation

Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:19 am

so... Ex : A house construction project estimated for 60Lakhs in 8 weeks time period.
Say in 4 weeks period , we've spent 28Lakhs ( which would be 28/60 = 46% of work completed )
With this information i can only find Actual Cost, I do not know PV and EV.

Since % Money Spend will not necessary equal to % work completed , second % duration of planned project, 4 weeks not necessary mean we were planning 50% completion in 4 weeks.

So we do not information here, maybe you can share the whole question.

Return to “PMP® Open Forum”