Forum Banner

How to manage shared resources

Discuss PMI-ACP® doubts, tips and lesson learned. Be agile with iZenBridge
moe.abou

How to manage shared resources

Mon May 16, 2022 7:03 pm

any ideas on how to manage multiple sprint across multiple projects using shared resources?
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to manage shared resources

Tue May 17, 2022 6:10 am

In agile space, the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) is designed for that kind of scaling. for PMI-ACP i don't see exam going in much details. The PMI-ACP exam only expects you know that you will use scrum of scrum when you work with multiple agile teams.

If you know more about SAFe, this video playlist can help:
moe.abou

Tue May 17, 2022 3:12 pm

Thank you Saket. I thought SAFe provides an agile approach for program and portfolio management, like doing integrated planning where all teams incorporate their work. I guess SAFe is not very agile. it tends to be more predictive than adaptive. however i agree that I may find a good tool to deal with my situation.

But I doubt that my scenario applies to SAFe, my scenario is:
Teams are involved in different projects, they have several sprints. Sprint meeting is boring for some engineers, and they are not interested in the whole meeting because the same engineer attend A sprint meeting and B sprint meeting. I'm looking for the best way to setup sprint planning meeting in this case?
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed May 18, 2022 7:01 am

Teams are involved in different projects, they have several sprints. Sprint meeting is boring for some engineers, and they are not interested in the whole meeting because the same engineer attend A sprint meeting and B sprint meeting. I'm looking for the best way to setup sprint planning meeting in this case?
if you get the above situation in the PMI-ACP exam, what should be your choice of the answer? you should select an answer which says, one team = one project in scrum may of working.

Scrum's way of working focuses on a dedicated cross-functional team, which means one team is dedicated to working on only one Sprint.

If you have a situation where one team is taking care of multiple projects Like you said Shared Resources, they better don't use Scrum but rather use something else and find how that something else integrates with other teams. That can be another answer which will work.

The third Possible answer which will work here is a Shared team Better use Kanban and manage different work by defining work item types and class of service.

Now in non exam context, i recommend you explore how can you create a kanban system for this team and not to push scrum way of working for shared resources team.
moe.abou

Thu May 19, 2022 5:28 pm

thanks a lot. the question of sprints was ei9th to use plan sprints based on teams or projects. I believe there is a space to do what makes sense to our context. thanks again

Return to “PMI-ACP® Open Forum”