forum

Frequent Change Request

Discuss PMI-ACP® doubts, tips and lesson learned. Be agile with iZenBridge
pank_pmp

Frequent Change Request

Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:52 am

You are mid-way through your third 2-week iteration. Due to changing business conditions, the clients have started requesting changes many times a day. This has thrown you and your team off balance. What could you do to tame this confusion and still provide value to your clients?

1 Post all requests that come in for discussion until the next iteration planning

2 Since Agile is all about adaptability, you accept those changes that are high priority and work it in along with your current iteration

3 Cancel the current iteration and work on a new iteration incorporating the requested changes

4 Reduce your 2-week iteration to a 2-day iteration

Again do not know the answer as yet but I am assuming it could be option 2 or 3 since emphasis is on business changes coming. To be more precise I am inclined more towards option 3 since it is mentioned that changes are coming many times a day.

Best,
Pankaj
pank_pmp

Re: Frequent Change Request

Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:13 am

Well I think I will answer this myself since nobody is answering:

Option 4 seems to be promising since with 2 days iterations will ensure handling/accommodating frequent changes easily without loosing too much of productivity.
sanjaykumar
Expert
Expert

Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:27 am

Wish there was an option to go for Kanban. :-)

Ideally, we should be allowing changes only related to the current sprint goal.
In this case, I am inclined towards #1 since the changes are throwing team off-balance, so we should defer new requests to keep the team productive. Otherwise, not much will get delivered - resulting in low team morale.
Sanjay Kumar
Agile Trainer & Coach
pank_pmp

Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:03 am

I agree somehow with you but as per exam point of view what you think should be correct answer. This is necessary for me at this point of time since appearing for exam soon :)
sanjaykumar
Expert
Expert

Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:52 am

On second thoughts, #2 sounds safest since it is trying to find a balance.
I could go with #4 if it had said one week instead of 2 days. But then, client is asking for changes several times a day - so you still got to manage those requests. #2 sounds better again. :-)
Sanjay Kumar
Agile Trainer & Coach

Return to “PMI-ACP® Open Forum”