Recognition and Reward

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMP® clients
Saubhagya Raizada

Recognition and Reward

Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:36 am

Hi,

I am doubtful about which stage does the Recognition & Rewards are given to the Project team members AND where does the Performance Review for project Team member's happen in the Resource Management knowledge area.

Some ambiguous facts related to this on PMBoK are as follows
:

1. Recognition & Rewards are tools under 9.4.2.5 of 'Develop Team'.

2. But it is also mentioned in the 9.4.2.5 that reward decisions are made, formally or informally,
during the process of managing the project team

3. Furthermore, under 9.4.2.6 of Develop Team it is mentioned Unplanned training takes place as a result of observation, conversation, and project performance appraisals conducted during management of the project team

4. Under Manage Team page 346, it says " Project managers should provide challenging assignments to team members and provide recognition for high performance"

Please let me know your thoughts on this. Thank you.

Saubhagya
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Re: Recognition and Reward

Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:42 am

Saubhagya Raizada wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:36 am
Hi,

I am doubtful about which stage does the Recognition & Rewards are given to the Project team members AND where does the Performance Review for project Team member's happen in the Resource Management knowledge area.

Some ambiguous facts related to this on PMBoK are as follows
:

1. Recognition & Rewards are tools under 9.4.2.5 of 'Develop Team'.
Yes it is a tool

2. But it is also mentioned in the 9.4.2.5 that reward decisions are made, formally or informally,
during the process of managing the project team
Yes that is also true, not sure what is the question ? 9.4.2.5 is a T & T under develop team process.

3. Furthermore, under 9.4.2.6 of Develop Team it is mentioned Unplanned training takes place as a result of observation, conversation, and project performance appraisals conducted during management of the project team

When there is a project performance appraisal done, competence GAPs can be identified and that means PM can decide to arrange for specific training for team members.

4. Under Manage Team page 346, it says " Project managers should provide challenging assignments to team members and provide recognition for high performance"

Again what is the ambiguity on this statement?

Please let me know your thoughts on this. Thank you.

Saubhagya
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/
Saubhagya Raizada

Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:05 am

Hi Manish,

Thanks for your response and Sorry if you found my question vague, but essentially my question is that whilst the Recognition and Reward is tool to Develop Team, the references #2 #3 and #4 under my original question point out that the actual Performance appraisal together with Reward and Recognition happen in Manage Team process and not in Develop team.

In light of this, is it correct to say that Performance appraisal together with Reward and Recognition happen in manage Team process and not in Develop team?

I yes, then why isn't Recognition and Reward/Performance Appraisal a Tool or output to Manage Team

Hope it clearer now.
Saubhagya
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:20 am

Saubhagya Raizada wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:05 am
Hi Manish,

Thanks for your response and Sorry if you found my question vague, but essentially my question is that whilst the Recognition and Reward is tool to Develop Team, the references #2 #3 and #4 under my original question point out that the actual Performance appraisal together with Reward and Recognition happen in Manage Team process and not in Develop team.

In light of this, is it correct to say that Performance appraisal together with Reward and Recognition happen in manage Team process and not in Develop team?

The decisions for reward happens in Manage team , however the actual rewarding, happens in Develop team
However I strongly suggest you to get a bigger picture, dont need to go into so much details when it comes to ITTO

I yes, then why isn't Recognition and Reward/Performance Appraisal a Tool or output to Manage Team

Please focus on big picture, in Manage team we evaluate and track team members performance

Hope it clearer now.
Saubhagya
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/
Saubhagya Raizada

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:49 pm

Hi Manish,

Thank you - I note your suggestion on looking at bigger picture.

Saubhagya

Return to “PMP® Queries and Tips”